Körnermarkt 14

A former Dominican abbey today houses the museum of the city of Krems, known as museumkrems, along with numerous other cultural organisations. For over 130 years, people have collected and exhibited objects, documents and art objects with a connection to the history of the city here.

On 6 May 1939 the Gauleiter (“regional leader”) of Lower Danube, Hugo Jury, authorised the “incorporation of Göttweig Abbey into the assets of the independent city of Krems”. The city’s museum also profited from this expropriation, with large parts of the Göttweig art collection transferring to its holdings in 1940. After the war they were given back.

Today, museumkrems endeavours to provide a multiperspectival representation of history. With this in mind, the museum’s collections have been expanded to include carefully chosen objects, documents and photos with relevance to the history of the 20th century and of the present. This is supported with participative activities, such as appeals to the people of Krems for their collections. Among the museum’s objects are the tablets of the Ten Commandments from the Krems Synagogue, which was demolished in 1978. The tablets have found their way back to Krems as a loan from the Jewish Community of Vienna (IKG).